I’m sorry didn’t mean to doze off. I was watching The Fall Asleep Series sponsored by the PGA TOUR……… i mean Fall Series
PGA TOUR Commissioner Tim Finchem take note……….
On Sunday October 18th 2009, I made every attempt to watch parts of The Justin Timberlake Shriners Hospitals for Children Open at The TPC Summerlin, Las Vegas, Nevada. Try putting that on a logo’ed golf shirt…..
To my point, I made every attempt to watch some golf between commercials of the NFL telecasts. However, golf at this time of year has just become wrong. It’s not that I don’t love golf. it’s not that it’s not a great time of year to play golf. It is, especially in Myrtle Beach (www.golfholiday.com). It’s just that football is king at this time of year.
Here are several reasons why you should consider canceling your Fall Series in the future…
- You told us every other commercial break for the entire year that The Fed Ex Cup Playoff was the culmination of a year-long battle to determine The Fed Ex Cup Champion. Correct me if I’m wrong, if it’s the culmination of a battle and a champion has been crowned, doesn’t that mean the season is over?
- If you want golf to be relatable to the average sports fan, end the season at the end of the season. Football doesn’t play fouror five extra games after the Super Bowl in order for the third and fourth string players, who didn’t get a chance to play much during the regular season, to finally play and earn some extra money.
- For heavens sake, I awoke on the couch last Sunday just in time to see Chad Campbell at the JTSCFCO(see incredibly long name above)pulling tees to see who was going to tee off first in a play-off. I thought I was watching a Dockers commercial. Outside of Campbell, I didn’t recognize any of the other guys in the play-off.
As I awoke again 45 minutes later in a complete fog, I was happy to see a seemingly-nice guy by the name of Martin Laird holding the trophy. I vaguely remember hearing about Martin Laird, if only because he is currently the only Scotsman on the PGA TOUR.
- We want to see the best play against the best on a regular basis. The Fed Ex Cup has come a long way and was an exciting end to the season. We saw Tiger go head-to-head with Phil and Padraig, and the rest of the top players on Tour. Like any good entertainer will tell you, go out on a high note.Don’t drag back out the D listers for one more tour. It just diminishes your product.
- Justin Timberlake seems like a nice kid with nice celebrity status, but even he seemed bored by the action at times, or maybe that was just Kelly Tighlman wearing him out with pointless questions about his “passion for the game.” At least my man, Brandel Chamblee, tried to inject some insight and humor into the never-ending booth appearance by Mr. ” Sexy Back” At one point, I swear JT was calculating how many bones he would break if he took his chances and just jumped out of the booth.
- Sponsorship issues. Many of your in-season Tour events are struggling for sponsorship or won’t have it. Why stretch your season and sponsor dollar? Shorten your season, fulfill all of your sponsor obligations which will decrease the supply and increase the demand. Duh!
- Quit protecting the bottom-feeders on Tour. I am amazed by the talent it takes to earn a living playing professional golf. But what I don’t understand is why they have opportunities to make huge money at events after the regular season is over when the big boys have by and by put their clubs away from the winter.
Third-string lineman in the NFL play for the league minimum, not the salary the starting guy gets. So why do the guys ranked 100 to 150 get to play for similar money as the top 100 guys? I thought that was what The Nationwide Tour was for………..
I’ve said enough, but what do you, our readers, think? Please weigh in on the subject. Does the PGA TOUR need to give up on The Fall Series? Why or Why not?
Don’t forget to tune into The Michelob Ultra Golf Guys at ESPN Radio every Saturday morning from 8am to 10am in Myrtle Beach at 93.7 1050am 93.9 or listen anywhere in the world at www.teammyrtlebeach.com .
Planning a fall vacation or holiday golf getaway go to www.caledoniagolfvacations.com and check out their great golf vacation specials!
Bob Seganti, PGA